Today we will be filling you in on the best places to buy ice cream, cakes, and cookies in Austin. There are plenty of great dessert shops selling sweets around town and this guide will try to focus on the best of the best.
There is no better way to get the ball rolling than with a list of the best ice cream shops near you. Frozen yogurt, gelato, malts, and ice cream cakes are found with ease here.
Once the frozen delights are out of the way it will be time to pivot to bakeries where you can buy cakes, cookies, pastries, and all kinds of sweet treats. Then we will get into some specific things like donut shops, where to buy cupcakes, candy stores, and chocolate and fudge shops too.
Healthy dessert options in Austin like gluten free bakeries and smoothie shops are easy to find as well. And our final topic will be all about restaurants that are known for must have desserts in your area.
Stick around for our local dessert map that has all these spots that we are mentioning throughout the post pinned on it. Our other posts on citites around the Midwest are available at that link if you want to check them out.
Ice Cream & Frozen Yogurt
When you are craving the best ice cream in Austin or want some healthier frozen yogurt try:
- Michoacana Natural Ice Cream at 9426 Parkfield Dr
- Luv Fats at 4209 Airport Blvd
- Dipdipdip Ice Cream at 7301 Burnet Rd #101
- Fresa’s at 915 N Lamar Blvd
- Dolce Neve Gelato at 1713 S 1st St
- Amy’s Ice Creams at 3500 Guadalupe St
- Lick Honest Ice Creams at 1100 S Lamar Blvd #1135
- Menchie’s at 1000 E 41st St #255
- Orange Leaf at 9600 S I-35 #B-200
- Yo So Cool at 1201 Barbara Jordan Blvd #1290
- TCBY at 303 W Martin Luther King Jr Blvd
- Yogurt Planet at 4601 N Lamar Blvd #502
- Pinkberry at 2901 S Capital of Texas Hwy Barton Creek Mall
Luv Fats specializes in luxurious ice cream in your area that is made from coconut milk, coconut cream, organic cane sugar, brown sugar, avocados, coconut milk powder, cocoa butter, olive oil, and sea salt.
Ice cream masterpieces made from Hill Country Dairies’ local milk cream and buttermilk as well as hand dipped mochiko waffle cones made from mochi flour are the specialties of DipDipDip Ice Cream.
Fresa’s is a Mexican restaurant that also serves great ice cream.
A variety of mainstays, rotating, and seasonal flavors of sorbet and gelato ranging from 12 to 18 flavors at a time are available at Dolce Neve Gelato.
Amy’s has been handcrafting super premium ice creams in Austin along with dairy free fruit ices and frozen yogurts since 1984 and are the creators of the world renowned Mexican Vanilla Ice Cream along with about 350 different rotating flavors.
Over 100 rotating frozen yogurt flavors with vegan, gluten free, non dairy, kosher, low carb, and low fat options as well as 70 rotating toppings are available at Menchie’s.
Froyo, smoothies, shakes, birthday cakes, coffee, acai bowls, and swizzle are all available at Orange Leaf.
Yo So Cool has 12 flavors and 6 swirl combinations of all natural, low fat, non dairy, and sugar free frozen yogurts.
Pinkberry excels at providing a variety of frozen yogurt flavors with dairy free and vegan free options topped with fresh fruits and other delightful toppings.
Both Big Top and Yummi Joy from our best candy stores list make great ice cream near you too.
Bakeries In Your Area
Expect to find great cakes, cookies, pastries, and more at the best bakeries in Austin:
- Sugar Mama’s Bakeshop at 1905 S 1st St
- 85°C Bakery Cafe at 6929 Airport Blvd #197
- Bakery Lorraine at 11600 Rock Rose Ave #100
- Paper Route at 1010 E Cesar Chavez St D
- Sweet Treets at 6705 US-290 #601
- Paige’s Bakehouse at 110 E Anderson Ave, Round Rock
- Sugar Shaker Bakery at 251 N Bell Blvd #114b, Cedar Park
- Crumbl Cookies at 1013 W University Ave #130, Georgetown
Cupcakes, cookies, dessert bars, pastries, pies, and cheesecakes are offered at Sugar Mama’s Bakeshop.
85°C Bakery Café serves breads, cakes, muffins, cookies, and panna cotta along with coffee and tea.
At Bakery Lorraine you will find a wide selection of macarons, pastries, and bread.
Paper Route offers signature cakes which are available by the slice every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday including lemon kiss, chocolate fainting couch, strawberry book club, and coffee fox.
Paige’s Bakehouse specializes in petit fours, cakes, chocolates, pies, cookies, and non-traditional wedding cakes in Round Rock.
A great selection of cakes, cupcakes, cake balls, pies, cheesecake, cookies, brownies, and dessert bars are available at Sugar Shaker Bakery in Cedar Park.
Orange Leaf and Edis from some different lists sell tasty baked goods and other sweet treats in your area too.
Local Donut Shops
These donut shops are a great way to start your morning:
- Angel Donuts at #200, 8300 N FM 620 Building A
- Voodoo Doughnut at 212 E 6th St
- Gourdough’s Big. Fat. Donuts at 1503 S 1st St
- Combo Donuts at 1509 S Lamar Blvd #200
- Bougie’s Donuts at 5400 Brodie Ln, Sunset Valley
- Round Rock Donuts at 106 W Liberty St, Round Rock
- Nathalie’s Donuts at 1525 Cypress Creek Rd, Cedar Park
Where To Buy Cupcakes
There are some really good cupcake shops in your area:
- Sprinkles at 3120 Palm Way #Y3 100
- Polkadots at 2826 Rio Grande St B
- Cupprimo at 8650 Spicewood Springs Rd #105
- Hey Cupcake at 4209 Airport Blvd
- Hayley at 10601 Ranch Rd 2222 #M
Sprinkles makes cupcakes, cookies, and brownies near you every day in addition to being well known for their red velvet which is also available in vegan, gluten free, and sugar free versions.
12 different cupcake varieties including 6 daily flavors and 6 rotating daily specials are offered at Polkadots.
Hey Cupcake specializes in mini cupcakes which are available in special and favorite flavors with vegan and gluten free options.
Personalized cookies, cupcakes, and desserts are the specialties of Hayley.
Candy Stores Near You
Local candy stores should have a wide variety of sugary treats to choose from:
- Big Top at 1706 S Congress Ave
- Lammes Candies at5330 Airport Blvd
- Yummi Joy at 409 W 2nd St
- It’Sugar at 11621 Rock Rose Ave #100
- La Dulceria at 512 W Stassney Ln #110
Big Top features a fully operational old fashioned soda fountain and ice cream case as well as specialty chocolates and fudge. They also sell over 400 bulk sweets and over 3,000 wrapped candies near you ranging from nostalgic favorites to innovations from around the world.
You can find an espresso bar, a wide range of pick and mix candies, old fashioned candies, novelty soda, and vegan ice cream at Yummi Joy who has over 144 different types of candies for you to choose from and combine to create your own bag.
It’Sugar is famous for its giant candies, gummies, gifts, novelty products, and other popular candy brands.
Some of the delicious sweets offered at La Dulceria include bubble gum, candy boxes, gummies, chocolates, hard candies, jelly snacks, lollipops, marshmallows, and more.
Chocolate & Fudge Shops
Great homemade chocolate and fudge can be found at these shops:
- Madhu Chocolate at 6814 Northeast Dr
- Delysia Chocolatier at 2000 Windy Terrace #2c
- Edis Chocolates at 3808 Spicewood Springs Rd #102
- Ecuadorian Chocolate Factory at 251 N Bell Blvd #110, Cedar Park
Madhu makes chocolate in Austin with a range of Indian spices, nuts, and tastes from other regional influences.
Gourmet delicacies such as hand rolled truffles, salted caramels, chocolate cluster, and chocolate covered fruits as well as Italian cookies, Brazilian cakes, and French croissants are available at Edis.
Ecuadorian Chocolate Factory in Cedar Park uses naturally grown cocoa from their farm in Los Rios Province in making chocolate bars, barks, truffles, fruits, and other gifts.
Big Top, Lammes Candies, Yummi Joy, and La Dulceria from our candy stores list also have good selections of chocolate and fudge in your area.
Gluten Free Bakeries
For a healthier alternative try one of these gluten free bakeries:
- Zucchini Kill at 701 E 53rd St #C
- Mr. Natural at1901 E Cesar Chavez St
- Better Bites Bakery at 13306 Galleria Cir
- Thai Fresh at 909 West Mary St
Zucchini Kill specializes in making cupcakes, cookies, and pup treats many of which are gluten free.
Mr Natural provides a wide range of cakes, empanadas, pastries, muffins, and cookies that are free of wheat, sugar, dairy, gluten, and artificial sweeteners.
Some of the gluten free and vegan baked sweets near you offered at Thai Fresh include sweet sticky rice, strawberry tapioca pudding, salty caramel brownies, coffee cakes, traditional French chocolate mousse, fruit pies, cookies, muffins, and flourless chocolate cake.
Smoothies can be a great tasty and healthy snack:
- JuiceLand at 1625 Barton Springs Rd
- Soup Peddler Real Food & Juice Bar at 2801 S Lamar Blvd
- Blenders & Bowls at 1625 E 6th St
- Smoothie King at 909 E Whitestone Blvd #B, Cedar Park
- Hydrate at 2502C Williams Dr, Georgetown
Local Restaurants With Great Desserts
Many would agree these restaurants have great desserts:
- Roaring Fork at 701 Congress Ave
- Odd Duck at 1201 S Lamar Blvd
- Jack Allen’s at 7720 State Hwy 71 West
- Salty Sow at 1917 Manor Rd
Roaring Fork is an American restaurant that is popular for its great local desserts including vanilla bean crème brûlée and warm pecan pie.
Strawberry sorbet with mochi donut is one of Odd Duck’s dessert specials.
Jack Allen’s banana toffee pie is one of the signature desserts in Austin and is definitely a must try.
By the way we have also written about:
- The Best Desserts in Dallas & Ft Worth
- The Best Desserts in Houston
- The Best Desserts in San Antonio
- The Best Desserts in El Paso
Enjoy Ice Cream, Cookies, & Cakes In Austin
We wish we had more to share but for now that is all we’ve got. After reading about all these local shops to buy ice cream, frozen yogurt, cookies, cakes, pastries, other bakery items, cupcakes, donuts, chocolate, fudge, candy, gluten free baked goods, smoothies, and even restaurants with can’t miss desserts in your area finding your next sweet indulgence shouldn’t be too hard.
Please use the comments to let us know if any shops have closed down, or if we posted anything that is incorrect. Now have fun eating your ice cream, cookies, and cakes in Austin.