Anyone that wants to learn about the best places to buy ice cream, cakes, and cookies in Boston has found the right post. There are plenty of great dessert shops selling sweets around town and we will do our best to point you in the right direction.
We will start off with the best ice cream shops in your area. Anyone that is searching for vanilla, chocolate, gelato, frozen yogurt, malts, ice cream cakes, and other frozen delights has plenty of options to choose from.
Up next we will get into bakeries where you can buy cakes, cookies, pastries, and all kinds of sweet treats. Then we will niche down and get into donut shops, where to buy cupcakes, candy stores, and chocolate and fudge shops near you.
Following that we will discuss some healthy dessert options in Boston like gluten free bakeries and smoothie shops. Our last section will be about restaurants known for must have desserts around the metro.
Towards the end you will find a local dessert map that has all the various venues we are mentioning throughout the post pinned on it. And all of you are welcome to look through our other posts on the Northeast at that link if you want.
Ice Cream & Frozen Yogurt
When you want to eat the best ice cream in Boston or some healthier frozen yogurt try:
- J.P. Licks at 659 Centre St
- Amorino Boston at 249 Newbury St
- Taiyaki NYC at 119 Seaport Blvd #B
- The Ice Creamsmith at 2295 Dorchester Ave
- FroyoWorld at 157 Harvard Ave
- Red Mango at 75 Francis St
- Toscanini’s Ice Cream at 159 First St, Cambridge
- Christina’s Homemade Ice Cream at 1255 Cambridge St, Cambridge
- BerryLine at 3 Arrow St, Cambridge
- Yotopia at 1815 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge
- Cabot’s at 743 Washington St, Newton
- Yogurt Beach at 665 Watertown St, Newton
- Rancatore’s Ice Cream & Yogurt at 333 Walnut St, Newton
- Truly’s at 35 Grove St, Wellesley
- Far Out Ice Cream at 419 Harvard St, Brookline
- Delicious Yogurt at 4206 Washington St, Roslindale
Amorino offers authentic Italian gelato in your area that is carefully made from organic ingredients with a variety of options that are vegan and free from lactose.
Taiyaki NYC is famous for their Japanese fish-shaped waffle that is chewy inside and crispy outside served along with their artisan soft serve ice cream flavors.
The Ice Creamsmith serves 13 distinct flavors made from 14% milk fat as well as local frozen yogurt and sorbets in addition to pies, cupcakes, pizzas, and cakes.
Frozen yogurt, smoothies, and parfaits at Red Mango are carefully made from high quality natural ingredients.
BerryLine offers 4 daily rotating flavors of frozen yogurt in Cambridge that can be mixed with variety of fresh fruits, crunchy, homemade, and candy toppings.
Over 70 flavors of innovative premium ice cream and frozen yogurt selections and 35 assorted topping options are offered in large portions at Cabot’s where they also provide sundae party packages for over 200 people, homemade ice cream, and frozen yogurt cakes near you.
You can choose from a large selection of flavors and toppings like fresh fruits, candies, cereals, nuts, and sauces plus frozen yogurt and custard at Yogurt Beach with a casual beach themed setting.
Delicious Yogurt in Roslindale provides diverse options with fat and sugar free flavors in addition to sorbet and a variety of dry and fresh toppings.
Bakeries In Your Area
These bakeries near you should have great cakes, cookies, pastries, and more:
- Bova’s Bakery at 134 Salem St
- Flour Bakery + Café at 1595 Washington St
- Mike’s Pastry at 300 Hanover St
- Tatte Bakery & Café at 70 Charles St
- The Cookie Monstah at 75 Newbury St, Danvers
- La Saison Bakery at 407 Concord Ave, Cambridge
- Antoines Pastry Shop at 317 Watertown St, Newton
- Quebrada Baking Company at 272 Washington St, Wellesley
- Clear Flour Bakery at 178 Thorndike St, Brookline
A large selection of cannolis, pastries, pies, and freshly baked Italian breads are available at Bova’s Bakery.
Delectable pies, gorgeous cakes, soft and chewy cookies, and buttery breakfast pastries are sold at The Flour Bakery.
A variety of freshly baked cakes, cookies, and sweet pastries in Cambridge are available at La Saison daily.
You might want to try their famous cannoli and Napoleons at Antoine’s Pastry Shop as well as their other French and Italian pastries and cakes.
Quebrada offers a wide selection of baked goods like breakfast pastries, breads, and great desserts in Wellesley.
Local Donut Shops
Start your morning off right at one of these donut shops:
- Doughboy Donuts & Deli at 220 Dorchester Ave
- Blackbird Doughnuts South End at 492 Tremont St
- Union Square Donuts at 100 Hanover St
- Kane’s Donuts at 90 Oliver St
- Mike’s Donuts at 1524 Tremont St #A
- Donut Villa Diner at 20 Prospect St, Cambridge
- Donuts with a Difference at 35 Riverside Ave, Medford
Where To Buy Cupcakes
There are some really good cupcake shops around town:
- Little Miss Cupcape at 250 Newbury St
- Sweet Tooth at 371 W Broadway
- Oakleaf at 12 Westland Ave
- Georgetown Cupcake at 83 Newbury St
- Cupcake Therapy at 4236 Washington St
- The Icing On The Cake at 230 Adams St, Newton
Little Miss Cupcape serves 12 decadent flavors, a create-a-cupcake bar, specialty candies, and unique drinks.
Sweet Tooth uses some of the best ingredients to create 10 different kinds of scratch baked sweets near you daily.
Oakleaf keeps 3 different gourmet cupcake flavors of chocolate, red velvet, and yellow in stock daily plus they offer vegan cupcakes in your area.
Customized cupcakes baked with premium organic ingredients are sold at Cupcake Therapy where they offer 100 signature items including vegan and healthier options that can be free of gluten, sugar, soy, tree nuts, and peanuts.
The Icing on the Cake specializes in baked goods for all occasions.
You can also visit The Ice Creamsmith from our best ice cream in Boston list for more equally decadent cupcakes.
Candy Stores Near You
These local candy stores should have a wide variety of sugary treats to choose from:
- Sugarfina at 800 Boylston St #147
- It’Sugar at 4 S Market St 1st Fl #2005B
- Spinder at 2257 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge
- Indulge! at 16 Lincoln St, Newton Highlands
Sugarfina is famous worldwide for their Champagne Bears, Peach Bellini, and Bourbon Bears plus they sell some of the best candies and gourmet gifts near you made from local artisans. You can also expect to find a delectable selection of confectioneries and chocolates that are attractively packaged like vodka gummy bears and milk chocolate bars as well as vegan, sugar, and gluten free candies.
Creative confections, amusing novelty items, and huge candies are sold at It’Sugar.
Spindler Confections sells distinctive sweets and spreads as well as books, gifts, and various whimsical candy themed holiday decors. They also showcase a small candy museum with more than 100 artifacts from historic local candy shops.
Chocolate & Fudge Shops
Buy homemade chocolate and fudge at these shops:
- Phillips Chocolates at 818 Morrissey Blvd
- Beacon Hill Chocolates at 91 Charles St
- Au Chocolat at 35 High St
- L.A. Burdick Handmade Chocolates at 220 Clarendon St
- Teuscher Chocolates of Switzerland at 230 Newbury St
- EHChocolatier at 145 Huron Ave, Cambridge
- Beth’s Chocolate at 27 Waldorf Rd, Newton
- Serenade Chocolatier at 5 Harvard Square, Brookline
Phillips Chocolates has been one of the premier chocolatiers in Boston since 1925 serving Turtles, handcrafted boxed chocolates, old fashioned fudge, barks, bars, and pops plus they have some sugar free items.
Beacon Hill Chocolates offers a wide range of handmade Belgian, French, Swiss, Italian, Brazilian, and American chocolates near you in addition to their special truffle collections with unique flavors like lavender, ginger, blood orange, Arabica coffee, Grey Goose vodka, green tea, chai, mint, bacon, chilies, lemon, vanilla, raspberries, hazelnuts, and olive oil.
Au Chocolat sells Neuhaus Chocolates from Belgium which are a must try along with their fine chocolates and confections where you can create customized gifts from over 25 different chocolate varieties.
Gluten Free Bakeries
For a healthier alternative try one of these gluten free bakeries:
- Jennifer Lee’s Gourmet Bakery at 100 Hanover St
- Violette Gluten Free Bakery at 1786 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge
- Blacker’s Bakeshop at 543 Commonwealth Ave, Newton
Jennifer Lee’s Gourmet Bakery serves gluten, egg, dairy, peanut, tree nut, fish, shellfish, soy, and sesame free items.
Blacker’s Bakeshop offers high quality delectable kosher and pareve breads, customized cakes and cookies, brownies, and other baked goods as well as egg, dairy, and soy free options.
Another good place to try gluten free baked sweets in Boston is Cupcake Therapy we mentioned before.
Gluten free bakeries are a good healthier alternative:
Smoothies are a good combination of tasty and healthy:
- The Juicery at 58 Salem St
- Jugos at 145 Dartmouth St
- Playa Bowls at 277 Huntington Ave
- Cocobeet at 100 City Hall Plaza
- Mother Juice at 291 Newbury St
- Zoe Acai Bar at 1876 Massachusetts Ave #1876, Cambridge
- 11:11 Health Bar at 87 Union St, Newton Centre
- Livite at 1644 Beacon St, Brookline
Don’t forget about the smoothies at Red Mango from the previous list.
Local Restaurants With Great Desserts
Lastly, these restaurants are known for their must have desserts:
- Jonquils Café at 125 Newbury St
- Bostonia Public House at 131 State St
- Atlantic Fish Company at 761 Boylston St
- Aquitaine at 569 Tremont St
- Oleana at 134 Hampshire St, Cambridge
Jonquils Café is a restaurant in Boston that is well known for their great desserts like caramel apple and dark chocolate mousse.
Bostonia Public House serves sumptuous desserts like sweet potato doughnuts, pumpkin crème brûlée, flourless chocolate torte, sour cream cheese cake, and tiramisu.
Atlantic Fish Company offers their signature local dessert peppermint ice cream pie.
Acquitaine is famous for their crispy chocolate bread pudding.
Oleana is a Middle Eastern restaurant serving their famous baked Alaska with coconut ice cream and passion fruit caramel together with a variety of Turkish inspired desserts in Cambridge.
We have also discussed:
- The Best Desserts in Worcester
- The Best Desserts in Providence
- The Best Desserts in Portland, Maine
- The Best Desserts in New York City
Enjoy Ice Cream, Cookies, & Cakes In Boston
For now that is all we have to share but check back in because we plan to update this post often. After reading about all these local shops to buy ice cream, frozen yogurt, cookies, cakes, pastries, other bakery items, cupcakes, donuts, chocolate, fudge, candy, gluten free baked goods, smoothies, and even restaurants with can’t miss desserts in your area you should be ready to find your next sweet indulgence.
Please use the comments to let us know if any shops have closed down, or if we posted anything that is incorrect. Now have fun eating your ice cream, cookies, and cakes in Boston.