The best places to buy ice cream, cakes, and cookies in Melbourne are about to be covered in full detail. There are plenty of great dessert shops selling sweets around town and this guide will try to focus on the best of the best.
There is no better way to get the ball rolling than with a list of the best ice cream shops near you. Frozen yogurt, gelato, malts, and ice cream cakes are found with ease here.
Once the frozen delights are out of the way it will be time to pivot to bakeries where you can buy cakes, cookies, pastries, and all kinds of sweet treats. Then we will get into some specific things like donut shops, where to buy cupcakes, candy stores, and chocolate and fudge shops too.
Healthy dessert options in Melbourne like gluten free bakeries and smoothie shops are easy to find as well. And our final topic will be all about restaurants that are known for must have desserts in your area.
Stick around for our local dessert map that has all these spots that we are mentioning throughout the post pinned on it. Our other posts about Australia are available at that link if you want to check them out.
Ice Cream & Frozen Yogurt
When you are craving the best ice cream in Melbourne or want some healthier frozen yogurt try:
- Geloso Gelateria at F Shed Shop, 5 Queen St
- Pidapipó at 299 Lygon St
- Billy Van Creamy at 212 St Georges Rd
- Gelateria Primavera at 157 Spring St
- Lavezzi at 334 Lygon St
- Piccolina Gelateria at 296 Smith St
- Beku Gelato at 171 Lygon St
- Gelato Messina Fitzroy at 237 Smith St
- Blu Spoon at 175 Bay St
- llao llao at 23 Red Cape Lane Cnr Lonsdale & Swanston St
- Tutti Frutti at 179 Rosamond Rd
- Yo-Gainz at 631 Nepean Hwy
- YOMG at Shop 3, Mordialloc Plaza, 600 Main St
Delectable nondairy vegan gelatos are available at Geloso Gelateria.
Billy Van Creamy specializes in creating cashew and coconut milk blends in their vegan flavors.
Lavezzi sells a variety of sorbets and cakes with espresso, lemon curd cheesecake, and pistachio flavors.
Piccolina Gelateria serves traditional Italian gelato as well as gluten free, gelatin free, and vegan ice creams in your area.
Gelato Messina provides 40 different flavors of ice cream and gelato cakes.
Blu Spoon makes fresh frozen Greek yogurt, ice cream, and homemade specialties.
Tutti Frutti produces over 80 different frozen yogurt flavors in Melbourne.
Yo-Gainz creates high protein and nondairy blends of frozen yogurt, shakes, and bubble tea.
Bakeries In Your Area
Expect to find great cakes, cookies, pastries, and more at the best bakeries near you:
- Bread Club at 558 Queensberry St
- Firebrand Sourdough Bakery at 69 Glen Eira Rd
- To Be Frank Bakery at 4 Bedford St #1
- Austro Bakery at Austro Bakery at 147-149 Cecil St
- Agathé Pâtisserie at 322 Coventry St
- Lune Croissanterie at Shop 16/161 Collins St, Russell St
Exquisite sourdough breads, baguettes, croissants, and sweet pastries are available at Bread Club.
Firebrand prepares flourless cakes, chocolate brownies, muffins, biscuits, pastries, pizza scrolls, croissants, granola, pies, and other sweet baked goods near you.
Local Donut Shops
These donut shops are a great way to start your morning:
- Shortstop Coffee & Donuts at 12 Sutherland St
- Walker’s Doughnuts at 276 Flinders St
- American Doughnut Kitchen at 470 Queen St
Where To Buy Cupcakes
There are some really good cupcake shops in your area:
- The Cupcake Queens at 3/12 Douglas Parade
- Little Cupcakes at Shop 7, Degraves St
- Cupcake Occasion at 81 Esplanade W
- Joy Cupcakes at Southern Cross Lane, E7B Exhibition St
The Cupcake Queens provides a variety of gluten free and vegan selections in all sizes.
Cupcake Occasion offers personalized and customized cupcakes, cookies, and other sweet treats in your area.
Candy Stores Near You
Local candy stores should have a wide variety of sugary treats to choose from:
- Australian Sweet Co at 16 Sir Laurence Dr, Seaford
- Sugar Station at Railway Station, 4/4 Flinders St
- Sweet Lolly Station at 150 Stanley St
Australian Sweet is a good place to buy gluten free brittles, rock candies, lollipops, and gobstoppers.
Sugar Station sells local candy boxes, chocolates, bars, licorice, candy beans, jellies, and more.
Tasty lollipops, candies, gummies, licorice, chocolates, and delicacies are available at Sweet Lolly Station.
Chocolate & Fudge Shops
Great homemade chocolate and fudge can be found at these shops:
- Haigh’s Chocolates at The Block Arcade 7-8, 282 Collins St
- Chocilo at 244 Waterdale Rd
- Koko Black at Shop 71-72 Queen Victoria Market, Dairy Hall
Haigh’s Chocolates has been producing artisan confectionaries, bars, novelties, blocks, and more chocolates near you since 1915.
Delectable chocolates, cakes, blocks, and more with vegan and sugarless options are available at Chocilo.
Gluten Free Bakeries
For a healthier alternative try one of these gluten free bakeries:
- Butter Mafia at Unit 25/148 Arthurton Rd
- Gluten Free 4U at 1345 Burke Rd
- Gluten Free Swiss at 600 Mountain Hwy
- 4me Gluten Free at 439A Kooyong Rd
- Simply Gluten Free at 123 Lower Dandenong Rd
- Glazed Gluten Free at Shop 2/1-3 Carre St
Gluten Free Swiss makes breads, pies, and biscuits with nondairy, yeast, and wheat free selections.
4me Gluten Free sells local cakes, muffins, buns, bagels, and desserts with nut free and nondairy options.
Simply Gluten Free makes freshly baked pastries, muffins, cookies, churros, and pies in Melbourne every day.
Sweet and savory delights including breads, pastries, and cakes are prepared at Glazed Gluten Free Patisserie with nondairy, nut free, and vegan options.
Don’t forget about The Cupcake Queens who we mentioned earlier either.
Smoothies can be a great tasty and healthy snack:
- Tropicana Juice & Food Bar at 213 Elizabeth St
- Smoothme Superfood Bar at Shop 6/120 Spencer St
- Market Juice at Stall 26, A Shed
- Boost Juice at Flinders St Station
- Shakez at 1230 High St
Local Restaurants With Great Desserts
Many would agree these restaurants have great desserts:
Yum Sing House makes some of the best desserts near you including choux au craquelin, salted duck egg custard, Hong Kong milk tea trifle, boba pearls, coconut sago, yuzu curd, and more.
Desserts By Night has been serving berry cheesecake, pavlova, chocolate caramel sphere, peach melba, frozen chocolate souffle, matcha tiramisu, dark chocolate panna cotta, creme brulee, strawberry parfait, warm coconut sago pudding, lemon lime tart, hot vanilla cake, and more incredible sweets in Melbourne since 2010.
By the way we have also written about:
- Sydney Ice Cream & Candy Shops
- Adelaide Ice Cream & Candy Shops
- Perth Ice Cream & Candy Shops
- Gold Coast Ice Cream & Candy Shops
Enjoy Ice Cream, Cookies & Cakes In Melbourne
We wish we had more to share but for now that is all we’ve got. After reading about all these local shops to buy ice cream, frozen yogurt, cookies, cakes, pastries, other bakery items, cupcakes, donuts, chocolate, fudge, candy, gluten free baked goods, smoothies, and even restaurants with can’t miss desserts in your area finding your next sweet indulgence shouldn’t be too hard.
Please use the comments to let us know if any shops have closed down, or if we posted anything that is incorrect. Now have fun eating your ice cream, cookies, and cakes in Melbourne.