If you are trying to learn about the best places to buy ice cream, cakes, and cookies in Detroit you have found the right post. There are plenty of great dessert shops selling sweets around town and we will do our best to point you in the right direction.
We will start off with the best ice cream shops in your area. Anyone that is searching for vanilla, chocolate, gelato, frozen yogurt, malts, ice cream cakes, and other frozen delights has plenty of options to choose from.
Up next we will get into bakeries where you can buy cakes, cookies, pastries, and all kinds of sweet treats. Then we will niche down and get into donut shops, where to buy cupcakes, candy stores, and chocolate and fudge shops near you.
Following that we will discuss some healthy dessert options in Detroit like gluten free bakeries and smoothie shops. Our last section will be about restaurants known for must have desserts around the metro.
Towards the end you will find a local dessert map that has all the various venues we are mentioning throughout the post pinned on it. And all of you are welcome to look through our other posts on the Midwest at that link if you want.
Ice Cream & Frozen Yogurt
When you want to eat the best ice cream in Detroit or some healthier frozen yogurt try:
- Treat Dreams at 4160 Cass Ave
- Detroit Water Ice Factory at 1014 Woodward Ave
- -320° Coffee & Creamery at 474 Peterboro St #201
- Cold Truth at 4240 Cass Ave # 100
- Huddle Soft Serve at 2 John R St
- TCBY at 17045 Kercheval Ave
- Dairy Queen at 23515 Ryan Rd, Warren
- Milkster Nitrogen at 22079 Michigan Ave, Dearborn
- La Gelati Dearborn at 6901 Schaefer Rd, Dearborn
- Screamers at 44666 Mound Rd, Sterling Heights
- Orange Leaf Frozen Yogurt at 13379 15 Mile Rd, Sterling Heights
- Han-D-Dip Dairy Barn at 32624 Five Mile Rd, Livonia
- Menchie’s Frozen Yogurt at 29619 Plymouth Rd, Livonia
- Oberweis Ice Cream at 6854 Rochester Rd, Troy
- Zoyo Frozen Yogurt at 3067 Rochester Rd, Troy
Treat Dreams sells over 1,500 flavors of locally hand-packed ice cream with some vegan options available.
Detroit Water Ice Factory offers more than 20 delicious flavors of their iconic Italian ice.
Frozen custard in chocolate, vanilla, and twist flavors along with a variety of toppings are available at Huddle Soft Serve.
A wide selection of frozen yogurt in your area with vegan as well as GMO, gluten, and dairy free options are available at TCBY. Some of their super froyo flavors are even enriched with fiber, protein, calcium, and vitamin D and contain a sensible calorie count.
Menchie’s is a self-serve frozen yogurt shop in Livonia selling items by the pound plus they offer unique goods like customized frozen yogurt cakes.
Oberweis contains 50% overrun ice cream made from one part air for every two parts cream, more than 18% butter from fat, and some of the finest ingredients. They also offer freshly baked waffle cones daily, customized whipped cream, and premium ice cream in traditional fountain glassware in Livonia.
Bakeries In Your Area
These bakeries near you should have great cakes, cookies, pastries, and more:
- Angela’s Italian Deli & Bakery at 48852 Romeo Plank Rd
- Good Cakes and Bakes at 19363 Livernois
- Milano Bakery & Café at 3500 Russell St
- Astoria Pastry Shop at 541 Monroe St
- Tringali’s Bakery at 29100 Schoenherr Rd, Warren
- New Yasmeen Bakery at 13900 W Warren Ave, Dearborn
- Mannino’s Bakery at 4062 17 Mile Rd, Sterling Heights
- GM Paris Bakery at 28418 Joy Rd, Livonia
- Ridley’s Bakery at 4054 Rochester Rd, Troy
Good Cakes and Bakes sells a wide range of homemade organic baked sweets like their signature gooey butter cake, cupcakes, scones, cakes, vegan cakes, cookies, and plenty more.
Astoria Pastry Shop offers more than 100 baked sweet treats made in Detroit.
Italian breads, sub buns, cookies, pastries, cakes, and their famous decadent cannoli are offered at Tringali’s Bakery in Warren.
GM Paris Bakery is well known for their double chocolate buttercream cake along with a variety of pastries, donuts, coffee cakes, cookies, layer cakes, tortes, and fancy desserts that are freshly baked near you every day.
Plenty of the spots in our next list could have definitely gone in this one too.
Local Donut Shops
Start your morning off right at one of these donut shops:
- Elias Donuts at 19231 Grand River Ave
- Dooped Donuts at 1555 Broadway St
- Yellow Light Coffee & Donuts at 14447 E Jefferson
- Detroit Mini Donut at 214 E Grand River Ave
- Daily Dozen at 13599 E 9 Mile Rd, Warren
- Donut Castle at 11831 E Thirteen Mile Rd, Warren
- Donutville U.S.A. at 14829 Ford Rd, Dearborn
- Yum Yum Donuts at 7226 Greenfield Rd, Dearborn
- Street Sweets at 2237 18 Mile Rd, Sterling Heights
- Looney Baker at 13931 Farmington Rd, Livonia
- Duck Donuts at 2920 W Maple Rd, Troy
You can also visit GM Paris Bakery in Livonia and Street Sweets in Sterling Heights for more delightful donut options.
Where To Buy Cupcakes
There are some really good cupcake shops around town:
- Terri’s Cakes at 16311 E Warren Ave
- Sheila’s Bakery at 2142 Springwells St
- Sweet Dreams at 3848 E Thirteen Mile Rd, Warren
- Iversen’s Bakery at 22041 W Outer Dr, Dearborn
- Sweet 220 at 28760 Plymouth Rd, Livonia
- Thomas Cake Shop at 5065 Livernois Rd, Troy
Sweet Dreams is one of the finest local pastry shops serving 9 different cupcake flavors.
Iversen’s Bakery specializes in cupcakes, cookies, and a variety of cakes for weddings, birthdays, and other occasions.
Of course many of the best Detroit bakeries for desserts we listed earlier will have good cupcakes too.
Candy Stores Near You
These local candy stores should have a wide variety of sugary treats to choose from:
- Janco at 15928 Grand River Ave
- Joe Exotix at 27209 Van Dyke Ave #A, Warren
- Lolly by Golly at 1903 Monroe St, Dearborn
- I Want Candy at 37700 Six Mile Rd, Livonia
Janco provides full service candy packages for weddings, baby showers, birthdays, graduations, and other special events plus they also supply items at convenience stores, gift shops, and schools.
I Want Candy sells a wide variety of sweets in your area including taffy, Jelly Belly’s, old fashioned candies, chocolates, cotton candy, chips, lollipops, gums, and gummies as well as other snacks, drinks, and plenty more..
Chocolate & Fudge Shops
Buy homemade chocolate and fudge at these shops:
- Bon Bon Bon at 441 W Canfield St #12
- Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory at 510 Monroe St
- Tres Bon Chocolate at 15010 W Warren Ave #114, Dearborn
- Bell Stone Toffee
Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory uses high quality ingredients to produce about 300 chocolate candies and other confectioneries like clusters, caramels, creams, meltaways, truffles, and molded chocolates to name a few.
More than 20 different varieties of milk and dark chocolates near you including some decorations from Lebanon are available at Tres Bon Chocolate.
Gluten Free Bakeries
Gluten free bakeries are a good healthier alternative:
Pastries, cakes, and macaroons that are vegan and free of gluten in Detroit are available at For the Love of Sugar.
Waffle pops, dessert pizzas, classic Mediterranean sweets like their famous baklava, and doughnuts with vegan and gluten free alternatives are very popular items at Street Sweets in Sterling Heights.
Smoothies are a good combination of tasty and healthy:
- Beyond Juicery & Eatery at 2501 Russell St
- Juice Joint at 4614 2nd Ave
- Vara Juice at 3673 15 Mile Rd, Sterling Heights
- Everyday Nutrition at 18776 Middlebelt Rd, Livonia
- Clean Juice at 766 W Big Beaver Rd, Troy
- Naked Fuel at 6718 Orchard Lake Rd #B, West Bloomfield Township
- Juice Your World in Dearborn
Local Restaurants With Great Desserts
Lastly, these restaurants are known for their must have desserts:
- Savant Midtown at 51 W Forest Ave
- Selden Standard at 3921 2nd Ave
- Grey Ghost at 47 Watson St
- Mexico City Restaurant at 32500 Van Dyke Ave, Warren
- Ford’s Garage at 21367 Michigan Ave, Dearborn
- The Pantry Restaurant at 34220 Van Dyke Ave, Sterling Heights
- J. Alexander’s Restaurant at 19200 Haggerty Rd, Livonia
- Sedona Taphous at 198 E Big Beaver Rd, Troy
Savant is well known for their delectable crème brulee which is one of the best desserts in your area.
Selden Standard offers seasonal shared plates plus they are famous for their peanut butter torte and chocolate Swiss rolls.
Vanilla bean waffle and delectable cheesecakes in Detroit are available at Grey Ghost.
Mexico City Restaurant is famous for their Xangos fried cheesecake.
If you are looking for a great local chocolate cake try the Colossal at Ford’s Garage.
A full menu including breakfast, lunch, desserts, and beverages along with their famous Belgium waffles are offered at The Pantry Restaurant.
Sedona Taphous is a Southwest cuisine inspired restaurant with great desserts near you that is popular for their chocolate decadence and brownie sundae.
We have also written a:
Enjoy Ice Cream, Cookies, & Cakes In Detroit
For now that is all we have to share but check back in because we plan to update this post often. After reading about all these local shops to buy ice cream, frozen yogurt, cookies, cakes, pastries, other bakery items, cupcakes, donuts, chocolate, fudge, candy, gluten free baked goods, smoothies, and even restaurants with can’t miss desserts in your area you should be ready to find your next sweet indulgence.
Please use the comments to let us know if any shops have closed down, or if we posted anything that is incorrect. Now have fun eating your ice cream, cookies, and cakes in Detroit.