Welcome to this discussion about the best places to buy ice cream, cakes, and cookies in Chicago. There are numerous dessert shops selling sweets around town and you will be learning about the top options as this blog progresses.
The best ice cream shops near you will kick things off. Those that love vanilla, chocolate, gelato, frozen yogurt, malts, ice cream cakes, and other frozen delights have numerous options to choose from.
Bakeries where you can buy cakes, cookies, pastries, and all kinds of sweet treats will be up next. After that we will focus on donut shops, where to buy cupcakes, candy stores, and chocolate and fudge shops in your area.
Then we will pivot to healthy dessert options like Chicago gluten free bakeries and smoothie shops. Restaurants that are known for their must have desserts near you will round us out.
A local dessert map that has all the various venues we are mentioning throughout the post pinned on it will be shared at the end. And the curious types can find all of our other posts on the Midwest at that link.
Ice Cream & Frozen Yogurt
The best Chicago ice cream shops or some healthier frozen yogurt can be found at:
- Pretty Cool Ice Cream at 2353 N California Ave
- Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams at 3404 N Southport Ave
- Menchie’s Frozen Yogurt at 2510 N Clybourn Ave
- Forever Yogurt at 3510 N Halsted St
- Yogurt Squarea at 4701 N Lincoln Ave
- Oberweis Ice Cream and Dairy Store at 951 Ice Cream Dr, N Aurora
- Charlie’s Silver Spoon Creamery at 6 E Downer Pl, Aurora
- Banana Split at 820 Church Rd, Aurora
- The Original Walt’s Ice Cream at 1314 W Jefferson St, Joliet
- Rich & Creamy at 920 N Broadway St, Joliet
- La Michoacana Premium at 18 S Larkin Ave 2, Joliet
- Yoh’s Frozen Yogurt at 3340 Mall Loop Dr, Joliet
- Oberweis Ice Cream at 760 Illinois Rte 59 #120, Naperville
- Yogurt Beach at 3027 English Rows Avenue, Naperville
- Andy’s at 1150 S Randall Rd, Elgin
Pretty Cool Ice Cream sells popsicles, custards, and many more sweet frozen treats from 1pm to 9pm Tuesday through Friday and from 12pm to 9pm on weekends.
Jeni’s Splendid offers fresh varieties of ice cream and frozen yogurt in your area daily from 12pm to 11pm.
Menchie’s Frozen Yogurt sells dozens of flavors and toppings every day from 11am to 10pm. Forever Yogurt prepares nondairy and fat free alternatives daily from 3pm to 9:30pm.
Nearly a dozen different flavors and toppings are available from 12pm to 6pm every day except Monday and Wednesday with outdoor seating at Yogurt Squarea.
Numerous assortments of local ice cream flavors are available from 1pm to 8pm Tuesday through Thursday and from 1pm to 9pm Friday through Sunday at Milkroll Creamery.
The Original Walt’s Ice Cream provides selections of 35 hard scoop flavors, sugar free delights, and frozen yogurt every day from 12pm to 10pm.
Rich and Creamy serves delicious ice cream from 11pm to 9pm Monday through Thursday and on Saturday, 11am to 4pm Friday, and 12pm to 9pm Sunday.
Frozen yogurt, sweet treats, desserts, and snacks are offered daily from 8am to 11pm at La Michoacana Premium.
Fine frozen yogurt with flavorful toppings is provided from 10am to 9pm Monday through Saturday and from 11am to 6pm on Sunday at Yoh’s, while Oberweis is open from 10am to 10pm every day.
Yogurt Beach is a good place to go for gourmet and homemade frozen treats such as froyos, custards, gelatos, and sorbets.
Gourmet frozen custard and sundaes are made daily in Elgin from 11am to 11pm at Andy’s.
Bakeries In Your Area
Great cakes, cookies, pastries, and more are available at these bakeries around town:
- Magnolia Bakery at 108 N State St
- Sweet Mandy at 1208 W Webster Ave
- Dinkel’s Bakery at 3329 N Lincoln Ave
- Milano at 427 S Chicago St, Joliet
- Katich Breads at 605 Plum St, Aurora
- Harner’s Bakery at 937 W Galena Blvd, Aurora
- Smallcakes at 2410 W Jefferson St #106, Joliet
- DeEtta’s Bakery at 428 W 5th Ave, Naperville
- Fiene’s Bakery at 1603 N Aurora Rd #101, Naperville
- Pastigel Bakery at 154 E Chicago St, Elgin
- Sweet Tooth Creations at 1278 Maroon Dr, Elgin
Magnolia Bakery serves cupcakes, cheesecakes, banana pudding, and other great desserts near you daily from 11am to 7pm. Fine cupcakes, pies, cookies, and light breakfast fare are available daily from 9am to 6pm at Sweet Mandy.
Delectable breads, pretzels, cakes, and cookies are prepared from 7am to 5pm Tuesday through Saturday and from 8am to 4pm on Sunday at Dinkel’s Bakery. Yum Yum Cake sells macaroons, cakes, bubble teas, and breakfast pastries daily from 10am to 7pm.
Specialty Mexican breads and sweets are provided at Panaderia el Paisa Bakery from 6am to 8:30pm Monday through Saturday and from 7am to 8:30pm on Sunday.
Milano Bakery offers bread rolls, cakes, coffees, and more from 5:30am to 1pm on weekdays and from 5:30am to 12pm on Saturday.
Vegan and gluten free cupcake alternatives along with the regular ones are made from 10am to 7pm Monday through Saturday and from 10am to 5pm on Sunday at Smallcakes.
DeEtta’s Bakery specializes in cookies, cakes, and many more great sweets in Naperville. Sweet and savory delicacies and baked favorites are available at Fiene’s Bakery.
Artisan breads, cakes, flans, gelatins, cheesecakes, and pan dulces are baked every day from 7am to 9pm at Pastigel Bakery. Sweet Tooth Creations makes delicious cakes and pastries in Elgin.
Local Donut Shops
Stop by one of these donut shops on your way to work:
- Stan’s Donuts at 535 N Michigan Ave
- Firecakes Donuts at 68 W Hubbard St
- Dat Donut at 8251 S Cottage Grove Ave
- La Chicanita Bakery at 700 E New York St #110, Aurora
- Donut Den at 3043 Theodore St, Joliet
- Home Cut Donuts at 1317 E Washington St, Joliet
- Country Donuts at 3091 US-20 #101, Elgin
Where To Buy Cupcakes
We highly recommend these cupcake shops around town:
- Molly’s Cupcakes at 419 E Illinois St #120
- Sprinkles at 50 E Walton St
- Smallcakes at 1720 N Orchard Rd #120, Aurora
- Pie Boss at 1649 Montgomery Rd, Aurora
- Frosted Fig at 4552 Shumard Ln, Naperville
- Herb’s Bakery at 1020 Larkin Ave, Elgin
Molly’s sells an assortment of cupcakes, cheesecakes, cookies, and baked sweets in your area.
Handcrafted cupcakes are baked fresh daily and available from 10am to 9pm Monday through Thursday, from 10am to 10pm Friday through Saturday, and from 10am to 8pm on Sunday at Sprinkles.
Signature cupcakes and buttercream cakes are provided on weekdays from 9am to 7pm except on Saturday and Sunday at Spiced Jasmine Bakery.
Frosted Fig offers artisanal cakes and cupcakes with rich buttercream frosting every day from 10am to 5pm. Herb’s Bakery prepares a wide range of cake flavors, fillings, and icings in Elgin.
Candy Stores Near You
Kids will love all the options at these local candy stores:
- Candyality at 3737 N Southport Ave
- Dulcelandia at 3855 W Fullerton Ave
- Ms Jana’s Candy at 1649 Montgomery Rd #10, Aurora
- PT Snacks at 195 Fox Valley Center Dr, Aurora
- Dan’s Homemade Candies at 1003 Plainfield Rd, Joliet
- Fisher Nuts Store at 1701 N Randall Rd, Elgin
Thousands of gummies, sours, taffies, and more are available at Candyality. Dulcelandia sells over a thousand sweet candies near you along with piñatas and party supplies from 10am to 8pm Monday through Saturday and from 10am to 7pm on Sunday.
Dan’s Homemade Candies makes local chocolates, caramels, English toffees, cream centers, truffles, and more from 9am to 6pm every weekday and from 9am to 5:30pm on Saturday.
Fisher Nuts Store stocks over 200 bulk items of trail mixes, dried fruits, chocolates, and candies from 9:30am to 5:30pm on weekdays and from 10am to 5pm on Saturday.
Chocolate & Fudge Shops
When you want to buy homemade chocolate or fudge visit one of these shops:
- Katherine Anne Confections at 2745 W Armitage Ave
- Fudge Pot at 1532 N Wells St
- Fannie May at 1650 Premium Outlet Blvd #1151, Aurora
- Fannie May at 2543 Plainfield Rd #102, Joliet
- Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory at 2835 Showplace Dr #111, Naperville
Artisanal candies and chocolates are available from 11am to 7pm Monday through Saturday and from 11am to 5pm on Sunday at Katherine Anne Confections. Custom local sweets and dipped chocolates are made every day from 12pm to 8pm at Fudge Pot.
Various selections of chocolates and candies are provided every weekday from 10am to 6pm and from 10am to 5pm every weekend at Fannie May.
Rocky Mountain sells premium chocolates and confectioneries near you from 10am to 7pm Monday through Thursday and from 10am to 8pm Friday through Saturday.
Gluten Free Bakeries
Gluten free bakeries can provide some healthier options:
- Defloured at 1477 W Balmoral Ave
- Wheat’s End at 2873 N Broadway
- Ingrained at 108 W Chicago Ave
- Mrs. Fields at 1650 Premium Outlet Blvd #1245, Aurora
- Great Harvest Bread at 192 W Gartner Rd, Naperville
Specialty gluten free cakes, cookies, and desserts in your area are prepared from 11am to 3pm Wednesday through Friday and from 10am to 3pm Saturday through Sunday at Defloured.
Wheat’s End offers breads, pastries, coffees, and teas with gluten free options every day except Monday from 10am to 2:50pm. Ingrained prepares a variety of vegan and gluten free baked items.
Personalized cookies, cakes, and brownies are provided at Mrs. Fields from 11am to 8pm Monday through Thursday, from 11am to 9pm Friday and Saturday, and from 11am to 6pm on Sunday.
Great Harvest Bread sells baked delights, sandwiches, salads, and more from 6:45am to 6pm on weekdays, from 6:45am to 5pm on Saturday, and from 9am to 2pm on Sunday.
For a tasty yet healthy choice consider these smoothie shops:
- Hi-Vibe at 160 W Kinzie St
- JuiceRx at 1880 N Damen Ave
- Tropical Smoothie Cafe at 1535 Butterfield Rd, Aurora
- Everest Custard & Bubble Tea at 848 Illinois Rte 59 # 104, Aurora
- Flourish Juice at 3000 W Jefferson St, Joliet
- Robeks Fresh Juices & Smoothies at 2936 Showplace Dr, Naperville
- Gooses Natural Juices at 19 Ziegler ct, Elgin
Local Restaurants With Great Desserts
Must have desserts near you can also be found at these restaurants:
- Girl & The Goat at 809 W Randolph St
- The Purple Pig at 444 Michigan Ave
- Boka at 1729 N Halsted St
- Turf Room at 650 Randall Crossing Ln, Aurora
- Pomegranate Restaurant at 55 S Commons Dr, Aurora
- Basil’s Greek Dining at 4000 Fox Valley Center Dr, Aurora
- Burnt Toast at2492 N Randall Rd, Elgin
- Juliet’s Tavern at 205 N Chicago St, Joliet
- White Chocolate Grill at 1803 Freedom Dr, Naperville
Girl and The Goat serves some of the best desserts in Chicago including chocolate mousse, passion fruit and honey, and popcorn every day from 4:30pm to 10pm.
The Purple Pig offers pistachio crème brulee, chocolate and ricotta cake, bread pudding, goat cheese and strawberry cheesecake, affogato, gelato, sorbet, and more from 11am to 9pm daily.
Mouthwatering local desserts such as caramelized hazelnut, chocolate angel food cake, and roasted rhubarb are available every day from 5pm to 9pm at Boka.
Turf Room provides goat cheese cake and sous vide lemon curd desserts. Signature ice cream desserts in Elgin are served at Burnt Toast.
Juliet’s Tavern is a great restaurant for sweets including their vanilla crème brulee, double chocolate fudge cake, chocolate chip cookie skillet, and raspberry donut cheesecake.
Various appetizing desserts like brownies, banana cream pies, raspberry cheesecakes, bread puddings, and silky chocolate soufflé cakes with gluten free options are prepared at White Chocolate Grill.
You might also want to read our posts on:
- Where To Eat Great Desserts in Milwaukee
- Where To Eat Great Desserts in Indianapolis
- Where To Eat Great Desserts in St. Louis
- Where To Eat Great Desserts in Detroit
Enjoy Ice Cream, Cookies & Cakes In Chicago
That is all we’ve got for now but visit us again because we plan to update this post often. After reading about all these local shops to buy ice cream, frozen yogurt, cookies, cakes, pastries, other bakery items, cupcakes, donuts, chocolate, fudge, candy, gluten free baked goods, smoothies, and even restaurants with can’t miss desserts in your area you should be ready to find your next sweet indulgence.
Don’t be afraid to let us know if any shops have closed down or if we posted anything that is incorrect in the comments. Now have fun eating your ice cream, cookies, and cakes in Chicago.