Today we will be filling you in on the best places to buy ice cream, cakes, and cookies in Pittsburgh. There are plenty of great dessert shops selling sweets around town and this guide will try to focus on the best of the best.
There is no better way to get the ball rolling than with a list of the best ice cream shops near you. Frozen yogurt, gelato, malts, and ice cream cakes are found with ease here.
Once the frozen delights are out of the way it will be time to pivot to bakeries where you can buy local cakes, cookies, pastries, and all kinds of sweet treats. Then we will get into some specific things like donut shops, where to buy cupcakes, candy stores, and chocolate and fudge shops too.
Healthy dessert options in Pittsburgh like gluten free bakeries and smoothie shops are easy to find as well. And our final topic will be all about restaurants that are known for must have desserts in your area.
Stick around for our map that has all these spots that we are mentioning throughout the post pinned on it. Our other blogs about the best sweet shops in the Northeast can be found right there if you are interested.
Ice Cream & Frozen Yogurt
When you are craving the best ice cream in Pittsburgh or want some healthier frozen yogurt try:
- Millie’s Homemade Ice Cream at 232 S Highland Ave
- Dave & Andy’s Homemade Ice Cream at 207 Atwood St
- Klavon’s Ice Cream Parlor at 2801 Penn Ave
- Antney’s Ice Cream at 1316 Poplar St
- Page’s at 4112 E Carson St
- Berry Fresh Frozen Yogurt at 1717 Murray Ave
- Rita’s Italian Ice & Frozen Custard at 5029 Library Rd, Bethel Park
- The Meadows Original Frozen Custard at 4329 Northern Pike #2807, Monroeville
Millie’s makes some of the best ice cream near you that is available in cones, shakes, and sandwiches created with farm-fresh ingredients with some dairy-free alternatives available. Since 1983 Dave & Andy’s has been scooping 200+ flavors of fresh ice cream into hand-rolled waffle cones.
Klavon’s Ice Cream is a quaint old-school location for Penn State Creamery ice cream shakes, floats, and sundaes. Antney’s is a local ice cream shop that serves a variety of handcrafted cones, sorbets, and frozen yogurts in addition to ice cream for dogs.
Berry Fresh excels at making about a dozen varieties of frozen yogurt in Pittsburgh that can be customized with a variety of cheesecake pieces, cookie dough, brownie bites, Reeses, mochi, gummy bears or worms, and other toppings that are available.
Bakeries In Your Area
Expect to find great cakes, cookies, pastries, and more at the best bakeries near you:
- Grandview Bakery & Sweet Shop at 225 Shiloh St
- Potomac Bakery at 1419 Potomac Ave
- Five Points Artisan Bakeshop at 6520 Wilkins Ave
- La Gourmandine at 4605 Butler St
- Prantl’s Bakery at 5525 Walnut St
- Bethel Bakery at 5200 Brightwood Rd, Bethel Park
- Baked With Love at 4733 William Penn Hwy, Monroeville
Grandview Bakery & Sweet Shop is a one-stop shop for custom and ready-to-bake goods as well as homemade confections and decorating tools. Brownies and bars, cakes, cookies, cupcakes, muffins, quick breads, and pastries are all available with some gluten-free alternatives also on the menu.
PiesPotomac Bakery offers a wide range of artisanal pastries, breads, sweets, cupcakes, cakes, cookies, cheesecake, and pies in your area. La Gourmandine serves French breads, pastries, and other baked items alongside coffee and tea in a cheerful setting.
Prantl’s is a German bakery that specializes in fruit Danish and nut-filled coffeecakes which are ideal for breakfast, dessert, or catering. They make the famed Burnt Almond Torte as well as a variety of other delicacies.
Since 1955 Bethel Bakery has been whipping up house, seasonal, and custom cakes near you as well as other delights.
Local Donut Shops
These donut shops are a great way to start your morning:
- Peace, Love & Little Donuts at 50 21st St
- Just Good Donuts at 1830 E Carson St
- Donut Connection at 2414 Brownsville Rd
- Big Daddy’s Donuts at 90 Noble Ave
- Duck Donuts at 100 Siena Dr
Where To Buy Cupcakes
There are some really good cupcake shops in your area:
- Le Cupcake Shoppe at 109 Capital Ave
- Bella Christie and Lil’ Z’s Sweet Boutique at 213 Commercial Ave
- Gigi’s Cupcakes at 761 Providence Blvd
Mini gourmet cupcakes, full size cupcakes, cake pops, custom cakes, dessert cakes, cookies, and puppycakes are just a few of Le Cupcake Shoppe’s specialties. A lot of other places on this page also serve cupcakes like Grandview Bakery & Sweet Shop and PiesPotomac Bakery.
Candy Stores Near You
Local candy stores should have a wide variety of sugary treats to choose from:
- Grandpa Joe’s Candy Shop at 2124 Penn Ave
- Yetter’s Candy at 504 Grant Ave
- Pollak’s Candies at 352 Butler St
Grandpa Joe’s is a local candy shop has over 100 different varieties to pick from and their most popular attraction is their $5 Candy Buffet. There are also about 250 different sodas available at the store.
Gummy bears, Juju coins, liquorice, fruit slice, and pebble bark are among the candies available at Pollak’s Candies where you will also find a fantastic selection of chocolates.
Chocolate & Fudge Shops
Great homemade chocolate and fudge can be found at these shops:
- The Chocolate Moose at 5830 Forbes Ave
- Mon Aimee Chocolat at 2101 Penn Ave
- SpectroDolce Confectionery at 3926 William Penn Hwy, Monroeville
Valrhona, Lindt, Cadbury, Ritter, Cluizel, Cote D’or, and many other brands of imported candies are available at The Chocolate Moose. More than 250 bulk sweets are available ranging from the popular Australian licorice to chocolate-covered fruits, cordials, M&M Colorworks, 50 varieties of Jelly Belly’s, gourmet nuts, and fruit and nut mixtures.
Gourmet chocolate bars, truffles, marzipan, and Italian-style gelato are all available at Mon Aimee Chocolat.
Fudge, candy, authentic Belgian waffles, ice cream, milk shakes, chocolate dipped treats, and more delicious sweets are available at SpectroDolce Confectionery.
Don’t forget that Pollak’s Candies is another great place to buy chocolates in Pittsburgh.
Gluten Free Bakeries
For a healthier alternative try one of these gluten free bakeries:
Gluten Free Goat Bakery is a gluten-free, vegan, dairy-free, soy-free, nut-free, and exceptionally allergen-friendly wholesale bakery where you must order online.
Smoothies can be a great tasty and healthy snack:
- Clean Juice at 5829 Penn Ave
- Live Fresh Cold Pressed Juice + Smoothie Bar at 845 Western Ave
- The Pittsburgh Juice Company at 3418 Penn Ave
- Salúd Juicery Shadyside at 733 Copeland St
- Everything Juices at 100 Broughton Rd, Bethel Park
- Nrgize at Inside LaFitness, 4100 William Penn Hwy # 43, Monroeville
Local Restaurants With Great Desserts
Many would agree these restaurants have great desserts:
- Soba at 5847 Ellsworth Ave
- Grand Concourse at 100 W Station Square Dr
- Legends Eatery at 500 E North Ave
- Poulet Bleu at 3517 Butler St
Soba is a stylish Asian fusion restaurant with a terrace that serves rock-shrimp tempura, sushi, and seasonal cocktails. Banana split and chocolate maki are some of their guests’ favorite sweets.
Grand Concourse Train Station serves seafood and steaks along with some of the best desserts near you including chocolate mousse, bananas foster cream brulée, and vanilla ice cream, among others.
Legends Eatery is a charming, family-friendly corner eatery that serves old-school Italian food and American desserts and allows guests to bring their own alcohol. Desserts include apple pie, chocolate layered cake, caramel butter pecan cake, and coconut cream pie.
Bleu Poulet specializes in staples like steak frites and soufflés. One of the best desserts in Pittsburgh is their chocolate souffle.
By the way we have also written local sweets guides for:
Enjoy Ice Cream, Cookies, & Cakes In Pittsburgh
We wish we had more to share but for now that is all we’ve got. After reading about all these local shops to buy ice cream, frozen yogurt, cookies, cakes, pastries, other bakery items, cupcakes, donuts, chocolate, fudge, candy, gluten free baked goods, smoothies, and even restaurants with can’t miss desserts in your area finding your next sweet indulgence shouldn’t be too hard.
Please use the comments to let us know if any shops have closed down, or if we posted anything that is incorrect. Now have fun eating your ice cream, cookies, and cakes in Pittsburgh.