Today we will be filling you in on the best places to buy ice cream, cakes, and cookies in Ottawa and Gatineau. There are plenty of great dessert shops selling sweets around town and this guide will try to focus on the best of the best.
There is no better way to get the ball rolling than with a list of the best ice cream shops near you. Frozen yogurt, gelato, malts, and ice cream cakes are found with ease here.
Once the frozen delights are out of the way it will be time to pivot to local bakeries where you can buy cakes, cookies, pastries, and all kinds of sweet treats. Then we will get into some specific things like donut shops, where to buy cupcakes, candy stores, and chocolate and fudge shops too.
Healthy dessert options in Ottawa and Gatineau like gluten free bakeries and smoothie shops are easy to find as well. And our final topic will be all about restaurants that are known for must have desserts in your area.
Stick around for our map that has all these spots that we are mentioning throughout the post pinned on it. You can read more about where to find the best ice cream, cookies, cakes, pies, and more around Canada right there.
Ice Cream & Frozen Yogurt
When you are craving the best ice cream in Ottawa and Gatineau or want some healthier frozen yogurt try:
- Moo Shu Ice Cream & Kitchen at 477 Bank St
- The Merry Dairy at 102 Fairmont Ave
- Stella Luna Gelato Café at 1103 Bank St
- Piccolo Grande Artisan Gelateria at 102-55 Murray St
- Mantovani 1946 at 87 Murray St
- The Beachconers at 273 Britannia Rd
- Brett’s Ice Cream at 1001 Beaverbrook Rd
- La Diperie at 429 Richmond Rd
- Menchie’s at 80 George St
- Pinkberry at 100 Bayshore Dr # K04A
- Cassis House at 68 Principale St, Gatineau
- Frissons Et Bonbons at 894 Boulevard Maloney E, Gatineau
- Cremerie Flamingo at 160 Bd Saint-René O, Gatineau
- Pinkberry at Second Cup Café, 22 Eddy St #120, Gatineau
Moo Shu Ice Cream and Kitchen offers a rotating menu of Asian inspired appetizers and specialty ice cream flavors.
The Merry Dairy has outdoor seating and provides an array of classic and unique ice creams and pastries as well as catering services.
Buttermilk waffles, crepes, gourmet panini, hearty soups, eclectic salads, delectable desserts, and world class gelato are served at Stella Luna. They’ve been receiving multiple awards including the International Journalists’ Choice Award and Best Gelato in Canada.
Piccolo Grande Artisan Gelateria has fine servings of handcrafted gelato, sorbet, sherbet, baked goods, and hot beverages.
Award winning Italian gelato, pastries, and Neapolitan espressos are offered at Mantovani 1946.
Menchie’s sells high quality frozen yogurt by the pound.
Cassis has a wide range of fresh frozen delights such as gelato and sorbets.
Pinkberry makes frozen nonfat yogurt topped with fresh fruits.
You can also head to Purdys Chocolatier and ThimbleCakes from different lists to find more of the best ice cream in Ottawa and Gatineau.
Bakeries In Your Area
Expect to find great cakes, cookies, pastries, and more at the best bakeries near you:
- Art-Is-In Bakery at 250 City Centre Ave #112
- Bread By Us at 1065 Wellington St W
- Bread & Sons at 195 Bank St
- Pasticceria Gelateria Italiana at 200 Preston St
- Le Moulin de Provence at 55 Byward Market Square
- La Brioche Pastry and Bakery at 866 Bank St
- The Cake Shop at 1200 Wellington St W
- True Loaf Bread Company at 573 Gladstone Ave
- Boulangerie Aux Deux Frères at 146 Principale St, Gatineau
- Pâtisserie Fine Fidélice at 625 Bd de la Gappe, Gatineau
- Le Pain D’Alain at 53 Boulevard Saint-Joseph, Gatineau
- Boulangerie Première Moisson at 920 Bd Maloney O, Gatineau
Art-Is-In Bakery serves breakfast, brunch, and lunch including bread, pastries, baguettes, sourdough pizzas, burgers, and fries from 9am to 7pm Tuesday through Sunday.
Homemade gourmet sourdough breads, coffees, and teas are available at Bread By Us.
Bread and Sons is a great bakery near you offering a variety of made from scratch vegetarian sweet and savory treats as well as deli sandwiches and pizza.
You can have breakfast and lunch at Pasticceria Gelateria Italiana and choose from a variety of cookies, locally made chocolate truffles, cakes, cheesecakes, mousses, flans, gelato tortes, tarts, petit fours, canoli Siciliani, and many more traditional French and Italian pastries.
Le Moulin de Provence has been serving French pastries, artisan bread, coffee, and bistro meals for over two decades.
Since 2000 The Cake Shop has been making 100% nut free and peanut free specialty cakes in your area.
Le Pain d’Alain makes locally produced artisan breads with gluten free and vegan options.
Some of the best baked goods are also available at places from our other lists including The Merry Dairy, Piccolo Grande Artisan Gelateria, Mantovani 1946, ThimbleCakes, The Cake Shop, Stubbe Chocolates, and La Catrina Churros + Café Bar.
Local Donut Shops
These donut shops are a great way to start your morning:
- SuzyQ Doughnuts at 1015 Wellington St W
- Maverick’s Donut Company at 1500 Bank St
- Mr.Luko at 2533 Bank St
- Holey Confections at 3500 Fallowfield Rd #6
- Café Dough Co. at 219 Boul des Grives, Gatineau
- Tout Beigne at 158 Rue Montcalm, Gatineau
SuzyQ has a terrace and sells a variety of tasty donuts as well as coffee and tea.
Maverick’s also excels at providing coffee and tea as well as local gourmet and vegan donuts.
Holey Confections makes yeast vegan donuts in addition to being well known for their 140 layer donut.
Café Dough Co is open every day selling a variety of unique and delectable gourmet donuts.
You can also choose from a wide variety of handcrafted donuts as well as cakes and pastries for all kinds of events at Tout Beigne.
Where To Buy Cupcakes
There are some really good cupcake shops in your area:
- Cupcake Lounge – Westboro at 324 Richmond Rd
- Delightful Tastes at 2420 Bank St # 58
- Kasia’s Cupcakes at 200 Rue Montcalm, Gatineau
The Cupcake Lounge is one of the most well-known retail cupcake shops in Ottawa offering all natural hand frosted gourmet desserts with no artificial flavors, lard, preservatives, nor trans fats. They also make Swiss pressure brewed coffee and other delicacies.
Nut free cakes, cupcakes, and cake pops with gluten free and sugar free alternatives are available at Delightful Tastes.
Handmade cupcakes, cakes, cake pops, loaves, cookies, and other baked goods with vegan, gluten free, and nondairy options are available from Kasia’s.
ThimbleCakes and The Cake Shop from different lists are also great options for high quality cupcakes.
Candy Stores Near You
Local candy stores should have a wide variety of sugary treats to choose from:
- Sweet Escape Candy Emporium at Tanger Outlets, 780 – 8555 Campeau Dr
- Sugar Mountain at 100 Bayshore Dr
- Supe Pop/Star at 181 Principale St, Gatineau
Sweet Escape Candy Emporium is one of the largest candy stores in your area selling classic products from the 1920’s to the 1990’s. They have 48 different jelly belly flavors, 72 different sweet and sour bulk candies that you can mix and match, and over 800 goods.
Bulk and packaged candies as well as tasty beverages are available at Sugar Mountain.
Chocolate & Fudge Shops
Great homemade chocolate and fudge can be found at these shops:
- Stubbe Chocolates at 1224 Wellington St W #A1
- Alicja Confections at 303 Richmond Rd
- Purdys Chocolatier at 50 Rideau St
- Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory at 55 Byward Market Square
- Chocolats Favoris at 455 Bd de la Gappe, Gatineau
- Béatrice Et Chocolats at 101 Principale St, Gatineau
- Chocolato at 1100 Bd Maloney O, Gatineau
Stubbe Chocolates invites you to try samples of their truffles, tortes, pastries, and sweets.
Alicja Confections produces unique and flavorful chocolates that you won’t find anywhere else while the postcard chocolate bar is one of their best selling items.
Purdys Chocolatier has been known for their chocolates that are great for presents and gifts as well as high quality ice creams since 1907.
Chocolats Favoris provides 12 flavors of delectable chocolate fondue including real sweets and dip ice cream varieties.
Ice cream and chocolates are the specialties at Chocolato.
Gluten Free Bakeries
For a healthier alternative try one of these gluten free bakeries:
- Strawberry Blonde Bakery at 111 Richmond Rd
- Voila Gluten Free Bakeree at 4055 Carling Ave #2
- ThimbleCakes at 369 Bank St
- Wild Oat Bakery at 819 Bank St
- The Joy of Gluten Free at 250 Greenbank Rd #5b
- Pastel & Coco at 80 Prom. du Portage, Gatineau
Kosher items as well as vegan, gluten free, and nut free decadent snacks are available at Strawberry Blonde Bakery.
Gluten free and non GMO goods are offered at Voila as well as other items that are free of wheat, barley, rye, dairy, eggs, peanuts, pecans, and tree nuts.
Homemade curds, batters, cakes, and ice creams as well as other products from the region are available at ThimbleCakes. They also sell vegan cupcakes and cakes that are free of nuts, gluten, and eggs.
Pastel & Coco makes healthy vegan and gluten free pastries, cakes, baked goods, and desserts as well as unique drinks.
You can also head to Le Pain d’Alain from our best bakeries list for some of the best gluten free baked goods too.
Smoothies can be a great tasty and healthy snack:
- Juice Dudez at 91 Richmond Rd A
- Juice Monkey at 209 Slater St
- La Bocca Juice at 2446 Bank St
- Booster Juice at 1600 Heron Rd #8
- Booster Juice at 643 Bd Saint-René O #130, Gatineau
Local Restaurants With Great Desserts
Many would agree these restaurants have great desserts:
- La Catrina Churros + Café Bar at 105B Clarence St
- Tamis Cafe & Restaurant at 374 Bank St
- Moca Loca Café Co at 799 Bd de la Gappe, Gatineau
- Cafe Cognac at 10 Allée de Hambourg #104, Gatineau
La Catrina Churros + Café Bar prepares some of the best desserts near you including high quality churros, tortas, cakes, lattes, and more in a cozy setting with creative murals.
Hard to find flavors and incredible mixes of cocktails, desserts, and Filipino cuisine are served at Tamis Cafe and Restaurant.
Moca Loca Café Co is a well known European style café serving organic, fair trade, coffees, and herbal teas as well as vegan and gluten free desserts.
There are fine servings of paninis, pizza, salads, and some of the best desserts in Gatineau at Cafe Cognac where they also provide all-you-can-eat moules frites specialties.
By the way we have also written about:
Enjoy Ice Cream, Cookies & Cakes In Ottawa & Gatineau
We wish we had more to share but for now that is all we’ve got. After reading about all these local shops to buy ice cream, frozen yogurt, cookies, cakes, pastries, other bakery items, cupcakes, donuts, chocolate, fudge, candy, gluten free baked goods, smoothies, and even restaurants with can’t miss desserts in your area finding your next sweet indulgence shouldn’t be too hard.
Please use the comments to let us know if any shops have closed down, or if we posted anything that is incorrect. Now have fun eating your ice cream, cookies, and cakes in Ottawa and Gatineau.