Welcome and thanks for joining us for this discussion about the best places to buy ice cream, cakes, and cookies in Washington DC. There are numerous dessert shops selling sweets around town and you will be learning about the top options as this blog progresses.
The best ice cream shops in your area will kick things off. Those that love vanilla, chocolate, gelato, frozen yogurt, malts, ice cream cakes, and other frozen delights have numerous options to choose from.
Bakeries where you can buy cakes, cookies, pastries, and all kinds of sweet treats will be up next. After that we will focus on donut shops, where to buy cupcakes, candy stores, and chocolate and fudge shops near you.
Then we will pivot to healthy dessert options like Washington DC gluten free bakeries and smoothie shops. Restaurants that are known for their must have desserts in your area will round us out.
A local dessert map that has all the various venues we are mentioning throughout the post pinned on it will be shared at the end. And the curious types can find all of our other posts on the area at that link.
Ice Cream & Frozen Yogurt
The best Washington DC ice cream shops or some healthier frozen yogurt can be found at:
- Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams at 1925 14th St NW B
- Ice Cream Jubilee at 301 Water St SE #105
- Larry’s Homemade Ice Cream at 1633 Connecticut Ave NW
- Mount Desert Island Ice Cream at 3110 Mt Pleasant St NW 1st fl
- FroZenYo at 3000 Connecticut Ave NW
- Thomas Sweet at 3214 P St NW
- Pop’s Old Fashion Ice Cream Co at 109 King St, Alexandria
- Casa Rosada Artisan Gelato at 111 S Payne St, Alexandria
- Rita’s Italian Ice & Frozen Custard at 12801 Wisteria Dr, Germantown
- Moorenko’s Ice Cream Café at 8030 Georgia Ave, Silver Spring
- Tropics Ice Cream & Jerk at 9324 Georgia Ave, Silver Spring
- Sarah’s Handmade Ice Cream at 5241 River Rd, Bethesda
- Carmen’s Italian Ice at 1115 Nelson St, Rockville
- Sprinkles at 10148 River Rd, Potomac
- Ice Berry at 1715 Wilson Blvd, Arlington
- SweetFrog at 20940 Frederick Rd, Germantown
Ice Cream Jubilee has more than 50 unique and rotating flavors with vegan options including dan tat brulee, key lime pandan pie, mango jasmine rice, miso caramel, peanut butter cookies, and pear plum wine sorbet.
Larry’s has been serving homemade ice cream, ice cream sandwiches, baklava, and cookies in your area since 1985.
FroZenYo sells frozen yogurt, ice cream, and sorbet that are available in a wide range of flavors.
Pop’s offers 30 flavors of old fashioned ice creams, lactose free soft serves, sundaes, and a wide selection of toppings in Alexandria.
Casa Rosada offers 20 flavors of world class Argentine gelato and sorbet with vegan and gluten free options.
Italian ice, frozen custard, gelati, milkshakes, cakes, pies, coffee, tea, snacks, and breakfast are all available at Carmen’s.
Original, nonfat, creamy, classic, green tea, and honey dew flavored frozen yogurts in Arlington are offered at Iceberry. They also provide create your own yogurt combinations with a variety of toppings to choose from as well as a range of chilled seasonal fruit blended juices, organic coffees, and plenty more.
You can also head to places from our other lists including Kilwins, Henry’s, Le Diplomate, Fishers Bakers, and Summer House Santa Monica for some of the best ice creams in Washington DC.
Bakeries In Your Area
Great cakes, cookies, pastries, and more are available at these great bakeries:
- Firehook Bakery at 1909 Q St NW
- Baked & Wired at 1052 Thomas Jefferson St NW
- Seylou Bakery at 926 N St NW # A
- Buttercream Bakeshop at 1250 9th St NW
- Maribeth’s Bakery at 3103-3107 Colvin St, Alexandria
- Buzz Bakeshop at 901 Slaters Ln, Alexandria
- Woodmoor Pastry Shop at 10127 Colesville Rd, Silver Spring
- Patisserie Manuel at 8810 Brookville Rd, Silver Spring
- Fresh Baguette at 4919 Bethesda Ave, Bethesda
- Les Delices Bakery at 1615 E Gude Dr, Rockville
- Vie De France Bakery & Café at 10146 River Rd, Potomac
Baked and Wired is opens at 8am seven days a week specializing in local cupcakes, cakes, bars, cookies, and many more products with vegan and gluten free options.
Breads, pastries, cakes, whole grain products, and healthful beverages are available at Seylou starting at 9am.
Buttercream is known for its packed breakfast bombs and provides a great selection of pies, bars, cupcakes, and cookies near you as well as French macarons that are available in Nutella, lavender lemon, rosewater raspberry jam, and many more flavors.
A plethora of sweets, pastries, cakes, freshly baked cupcakes, fudgy brownies, and cream cheese filled pumpkin muffins as well as craft coffee and red apron sandwiches can be found at Buzz Bakeshop.
The Woodmoor Pastry Shop specializes in cakes, pies, breads, rolls, donuts, and Danishes in your area. Of course the cupcake shops and gluten free bakeries we are about to mention are also worth checking out.
Local Donut Shops
Stop by one of these donut shops on your way to work:
- Astro Doughnuts & Fried Chicken at 1308 G St NW
- District Doughnut at 749 8th St SE
- Universal Doughnut Shop at 2012 T St NW
- Donut Run at 6904 4th St NW
- Good Company Doughnuts & Café at Retail 1, 672 N Glebe Rd, Arlington
- Duck Donuts at 3610-F King St, Alexandria
- Just Fine Donuts at 2310 Mt Vernon Ave, Alexandria
- Woodmoor Pastry Shop at 10127 Colesville Rd, Silver Spring
- MoMo Mochi at 255 N Washington St, Rockville
Where To Buy Cupcakes
We highly recommend these cupcake shops around town:
- Georgetown Cupcake at 3301 M St NW
- Red Velvet Cupcakery at 5600 Connecticut Ave NW
- The Sweet Lobby at 404 8th St SE
- Bakeshop at 1025 N Fillmore St G, Arlington
- Lavender Moon Cupcakery at 116 S Royal St, Alexandria
- Alexandria Cupcake at 1022 King St, Alexandria
- Savvy Treats at 90 W Montgomery Ave, Rockville
- Sweet Teensy Bakery in Bethesda
Red Velvet Cupcakery boasts a range of flavors like vanilla bean, peanut butter cup, cookies ‘n cream, and carrot cake.
Cupcake varieties such as dark chocolate, vanilla, coconut, red velvet, gingerbread, caramel apple, roasted pineapple, dulce de leche, and tiramisu are available at The Sweet Lobby.
Lavender Moon makes organic cupcakes near you every day. 17 different types are sold at Alexandria Cupcake seven days a week.
Savvy Treats excels at providing cupcakes, custom cakes, fresh artisan cookies, home baked pastries, and other gourmet sweets in Rockville.
Sprinkles, Buttercream Bakery, Buzz Bakeshop, Rise Bakery, and Sticky Fingers from some different lists are also good options for delicious cupcakes.
Candy Stores Near You
Kids will love all the options at these local candy stores:
- The Capital Candy Jar at 201 15th St NE
- Lulabelle’s Sweet Shop at 847 Upshur St NW
- Kilwins Chocolate & Ice Cream at 1250 Half St SE
- Velatis at 8408 Georgia Ave # B, Silver Spring
- Lapp’s Candy at 12613 Wisteria Dr, Germantown
- Henry’s Sweet Retreat & Bakery at 4823 St Elmo Ave, Bethesda
Kilwins sells mackinac island fudge, caramel apples, tuttle nut caramels, freshly made waffle cones, and caramel corn as well as 24 ice cream varieties.
Velatis has been handcrafting classic American and European sugary style caramels, toffees, sea salt turtles, truffles, Belgian chocolates, and other sweet delicacies since 1866.
Lapp’s Candy provides over 500 different sweets as well as 35 distinct types of fudge, pretzels, and peanuts.
Hundreds of different soft and hard candies in Bethesda along with all kinds of sweets, fudge, hand scooped ice cream floats, and shakes with gluten free and sugar free options are available at Henry’s.
Chocolate & Fudge Shops
When you want to buy homemade chocolate or fudge visit one of these shops:
- Chocolate Chocolate at 1130 Connecticut Ave NW
- The Chocolate House at 1904 18th St NW
- Neuhaus Belgian Chocolate at 50 Massachusetts Ave NE #109
- Schakolad Chocolate Factory at 1750 Crystal Dr, Arlington
- Bethesda Chocolates at 8003 Woodmont Ave, Bethesda
Chocolate Chocolate sells a vast assortment of artisanal sweets in your area like munchies, fun foiled, gourmet pan crafted, bar bundles, sweet nostalgia, and plenty more.
You may sample over 400 different bars and confections from artisan chocolatiers throughout the world at The Chocolate House.
Of course those local candy shops will sell all kinds of chocolates as well.
Gluten Free Bakeries
Gluten free bakeries can provide some healthier options:
- Rise Bakery at 2409 18th St NW
- Sweet Crimes Gluten-Free Bakery at 1238 Pennsylvania Ave SE
- Sticky Fingers Sweets & Eats at 1370 Park Rd NW
- Baked by Yael at 3000 Connecticut Ave NW
- Olivia Macaron at 3270 M St NW
- The Happy Tart Falls Church at 410 S Maple Ave #110, Falls Church
- The Red Bandana Bakery at 8218 Wisconsin Ave #101, Bethesda
A wonderful display of cupcakes, breads, bagels, croissants, pastries, pies, cakes, cookies, and bars with vegan varieties can be found at Rise Bakery.
Sticky Fingers is your one stop shop for tasty plant based goodies. They provide bake it yourself and decorate it yourself kits as well as ready to eat cookies, brownies, cupcakes, and so much more.
Baked by Yael is one of Washington DC’s first nut free and kosher cakepopperies creating sweet treats and other delicacies from scratch.
Olivia’s gluten free macarons are available in different season inspired flavors such as fruity pebbles, s’mores, red velvet, and traditional French with a unique American touch.
Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served at The Red Bandana Bakery where they also feature a selection of pastries, cakes, and breads.
For a tasty yet healthy choice consider these smoothie shops:
- Jaco Juice & Taco Bar at 1614 Wisconsin Ave NW
- Robeks Fresh Juices & Smoothies at 1707 L St NW
- South Block at 3210 Grace St NW
- Rush Bowls at 1209 U St NW
- Tropical Smoothie Café at 3811 Fairfax Dr, Arlington
- Zen Press Juice Bar & Cafe at 8120 Richmond Hwy, Alexandria
- MoCo Nutrition at 19857-B Century Blvd, Germantown
- Nips Juice House at 8710 Cameron St, Silver Spring
- Joe & The Juice at 7263 Woodmont Ave, Bethesda
- Playa Bowls at 7733 Tuckerman Ln, Potomac
Local Restaurants With Great Desserts
Must have desserts near you can also be found at these restaurants:
- Le Diplomate at 1601 14th St NW
- Tail Up Goat at 1827 Adams Mill Rd NW
- Farmers Fishers Bakers at The Washington Harbour, 3000 K St NW
- Fiola at 601 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
- Ellē at 3221 Mt Pleasant St NW
- The Melting Pot at 1110 N Glebe Rd, Arlington
- Mi Rancho Restaurant at 19725 Germantown Rd A, Germantown
- Summer House Santa Monica at 11825 Grand Park Ave, North Bethesda
Le Diplomate serves exquisite desserts in Washington DC including profiteroles with praline, banana vanilla ice cream, bittersweet chocolate, vacherin fraise vanille, and apple tarte tartin.
Tail Up Goat’s local dessert menu includes coconut panna cotta, chocolate and olive oil tart, and pistachio bostock cardamom.
Tasty donuts, home churned ice cream, and Virginia peanut butter mousse pie with whipped cream on top are some of Farmers Fishers Bakers’ signature treats.
Strawberries and cream and Claudia’s tiramisu are Fiola’s hallmark sweets.
Premium desserts like honey goat cheesecake, milke chocolate crémeux, spring panna cotta, and coconut rice pudding are served at Elle.
You will want to try The Melting Pot’s chocolate fondues in Arlington including flavors like flaming turtle, cookie butter crunch, dark and dulce, and truffle milk.
Mi Rancho is a Tex Mex restaurant offering great desserts near you like sopapillas, cajeta, flan, empanadas, tres leches cake, and cheese cake.
Summer House Santa Monica provides a fine selection of cookies, ice cream sandwich red velvet cake, fudge brownie, and s’more bars in addition to being well known for their rice krispy treats in North Bethesda.
You might also want to read our posts on the:
- Best Bakeries in Baltimore
- Best Bakeries in Philadelphia
- Best Bakeries in Richmond
- Best Bakeries in New York City
Enjoy Ice Cream, Cookies & Cakes In Washington DC
That is all we’ve got for now but visit us again because we plan to update this post often. After reading about all these local shops to buy ice cream, frozen yogurt, cookies, cakes, pastries, other bakery items, cupcakes, donuts, chocolate, fudge, candy, gluten free baked goods, smoothies, and even restaurants with can’t miss desserts in your area you should be ready to find your next sweet indulgence.
Don’t be afraid to let us know if any shops have closed down or if we posted anything that is incorrect in the comments. Now have fun eating your ice cream, cookies, and cakes in Washington DC.