Over the next few minutes we will be diving deep into the best places to buy ice cream, cakes, and cookies in St Louis. There are numerous dessert shops selling sweets around town and you will be learning about the top options as this blog progresses.
The best ice cream shops in your area will kick things off. Those that love vanilla, chocolate, gelato, frozen yogurt, malts, ice cream cakes, and other frozen delights have numerous options to choose from.
Bakeries where you can buy cakes, cookies, pastries, and all kinds of sweet treats will be up next. After that we will focus on donut shops, where to buy cupcakes, candy stores, and chocolate and fudge shops near you.
Then we will pivot to healthy dessert options like St Louis gluten free bakeries and smoothie shops. Restaurants that are known for their must have desserts in your area will round us out.
A local dessert map that has all the various venues we are mentioning throughout the post pinned on it will be shared at the end. And the curious types can find all of our other posts on the Midwest at that link.
Ice Cream & Frozen Yogurt
The best St Louis ice cream shops or some healthier frozen yogurt can be found at:
- Ted Drewes Frozen Custard at 6726 Chippewa St
- Clementine’s Naughty & Nice Creamery at 1637 S 18th St
- Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams at 389 N Euclid Ave
- Tower Grove Creamery at 3101 S Grand Blvd
- Gelato Di Riso at 5204 Wilson Ave
- Boardwalk Waffles & Ice Cream at 7376 Manchester Rd
- froYo at 6329 Delmar Blvd
- Bella’s Frozen Yogurt at 1021 Washington Ave
- The Island at 1009 Russell Blvd
- Mr Wizard’s Frozen Custard & Yogurt at 2101 S Big Bend Blvd
- Oberweis Ice Cream & Dairy Store at 15021 Manchester Rd, Ballwin
- Ballwin Sno-Cone at 151 Ries Rd, Ballwin
- Andy’s Frozen Custard at 1600 S Hanley Rd, Richmond Heights
Most locals probably know about Ted Drewes Frozen Custard and many tourists stop by this take out spot to grab a tasty frozen concrete that you can customize with around 50 different things to mix in.
Clementine’s Naughty and Nice Creamery offers a variety of small batch ice creams in your area including vegan and alcoholic options.
Tower Grove Creamery makes shakes, sundaes, splits, malts, cookies, brownies, and frozen yogurts.
Handcrafted gelato, Italian coffee, drinks, and pastries are served at Gelato Di Riso where they also feature both indoor and outdoor seating.
Boardwalk is a lively neighborhood hangout offering exquisite Belgian waffle ice cream sandwiches in a variety of seasonal flavors.
Premium self serve frozen yogurts, sorbets, and smoothies with a wide range of toppings to choose from are available at froYo who provides nonfat, low fat, dairy fee, sugar free, and gluten free options as well as catering services for gatherings of 10 to 10,000 people.
Bella’s frozen yogurts are available in vegan, low fat, non fat, gluten free, and dairy free varieties that are served along with 30 toppings, smoothies, coffee, tea, and sparkling water.
Low calorie, non fat, and kosher certified frozen yogurts near you with probiotics as well as smoothies and slushy adult beverages are offered at The Island. They also provide catering for birthday, bachelor, and bachelorette parties as well as corporate events.
Soft serve frozen custards and frozen yogurts are Mr Wizard’s specialties as well as sundaes, cones, shakes, snow cups, slushes, and much more.
Oberweis offers premium ice cream in Ballwin made with 18% butterfat and some of the best ingredients which are served in freshly baked waffle cones and vintage fountain glasses with scratch made whipped cream.
Andy’s Frozen Custard in Richmond Heights excels at providing different desserts ranging from basic vanilla and chocolate cones to sundaes, concretes, and seasonal favorites like their pumpkin pie concretes and strawberry shortcake sundaes.
Both The Fountain On Locust and Baileys’ from some different lists offer great ice cream in St Louis too.
Bakeries In Your Area
Great cakes, cookies, pastries, and more are available at these bakeries around town:
- Sugar & Slice Bakery on Main at 519 S Main St
- La Pâtisserie Chouquette at 1626 Tower Grove Ave
- Missouri Baking at 2027 Edwards St
- Cakery at 1420 Tamm Ave
- Celebrating Life Cake Boutique at 13877 Manchester Rd, Ballwin
- St. Louis Kolache at 14786 Manchester Rd, Ballwin
La Pâtisserie Chouquette is a bakery selling macarons, adorned cakes, and many more sweet treats.
Since 1924 Missouri Baking has been specializing in Italian sweets and other European pastries such as cannolis and Napoloeons.
Custom special occasion cakes, cookies, and cupcakes in your area are available at Cakery.
You can choose from over 10 pie varieties along with homemade cookies, cake slices, bon bons, cake pops, gooey butter cake, cheesecakes, macarons, brownies, petit fours, cookie bars, and more at Celebrating Life Cake Boutique where they also provide wedding and custom cakes with vegan, dairy free, nut free, and gluten free options.
St Louis Kolache has an extensive menu of elevated kolaches that are great for breakfast and lunch.
The Sweet Divine and Sarah’s Cake Shop from our upcoming lists also excel at full sized cakes.
Local Donut Shops
Stop by one of these donut shops on your way to work:
- John’s Donuts at 1618 S Broadway
- Donut Drive In at 6525 Chippewa St
- Vincent Van Doughnut at 1072 Tower Grove Ave
- Pharaoh’s Donuts at 8 Maryland Plaza
A wide variety of classic donut flavors as well as coffees are available at John’s from 4am to 12pm Monday through Saturday.
You can also get donuts, eclairs, and other traditional baked goods at Donut Drive throughout the week except for Monday when they are closed.
Vincent Van makes fresh donuts and pastries from scratch five days a week.
Pharaohs Donuts sells some of the best traditional and creative donuts near you on weekdays from 6am to 3pm and 7am to 2pm on Sunday.
Where To Buy Cupcakes
We highly recommend these cupcake shops around town:
- The Cup at 28 Maryland Plaza Rear
- The Sweet Divine at 1801 S 9th St
- Sarah’s Cake Shop at 10 Clarkson Wilson Center, Chesterfield
The Cup offers a rotating menu of creative vegan and gluten free cupcakes that are topped with homemade buttercream as well as tasty dog treats.
You can buy ready made or customized cakes and cupcakes in St Louis along with other delicacies for special events at The Sweet Divine.
Sarah’s specializes in cupcakes, custom cakes, wedding cakes, and other sweets with a wide variety of designs and specialty flavors along with traditional ones.
Don’t forget about Cakery’s and Celebrating Life Cake Boutique’s cupcakes who we have mentioned in other sections either.
Candy Stores Near You
Kids will love all the options at these local candy stores:
- Charm Me Sweet Candy Store at 4915 Macklind Ave
- General Candy Company at 4800 Oleatha Ave
- Scooter Snacks at 5114 Natural Bridge Ave
- Candy City at 1155 St Louis Galleria St, Richmond Heights
- Poppa Bubble Candy Shoppe at 1155 St Louis Galleria St, Richmond Heights
- The Caramel House at 9639 Olive Blvd, Olivette
Charm Me is a local candy shop selling vintage penny candies and old fashioned favorites.
Many people have been buying candies, sweets, snacks, chips, paper, and concession supplies at General Confectionery since 1924.
Poppa Bubble in Richmond Heights features a fine selection of candy bars, gums, suckers, nostalgic candies, soda pops, cotton candies, candy toys, popcorns, and more.
Everyone loves the handmade salted caramels that come in different flavors at Caramel House who also features a selection of candies and snacks that are free of nuts and gluten as well as different jars of gourmet sweets, cookies, toffees, popcorns, and other delights.
Chocolate & Fudge Shops
When you want to buy homemade chocolate or fudge visit one of these shops:
- Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Company at 5025 Pattison Ave
- Kakao Chocolate at 7272 Manchester Rd
- Merb’s Candies at 4000 S Grand Blvd
- Bissinger’s Handcrafted Chocolatier at 97 S Lindbergh Blvd, Frontenac
Natural handcrafted sweets that are made using fair trade certified cocoa and sugar cane are available at Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Company.
Kakao makes handcrafted small batch candies and chocolates in your area including truffles, barks, and bars with no artificial sweeteners nor preservatives.
A fine selection of seasonal and year round assorted chocolates, bionic apples, chocolate covered strawberries, and turtle sweets are offered at Merb’s Candies.
Bissinger’s has been producing rich truffles, bars, Bissinger’s classics, caramels, chocolates with fruits and nuts, chocolate flights, and many more varieties in Frontenac for a very long time.
Gluten Free Bakeries
Gluten free bakeries can provide some healthier options:
- Prioritized Pastries at 4904 Devonshire Ave
- Britt’s Bakehouse at 137 W Jefferson Ave, Kirkwood
Prioritized Pastries is a vegan and gluten free bakery providing pastries, sweets, and custom cakes near you.
Britt’s Bakehouse sells delectable and gluten free bundt cakes, scones, muffins, cookies, cupcakes, donuts, and pastries in Kirkwood.
For a tasty yet healthy choice consider these smoothie shops:
- Hello Juice & Smoothie at 1000 S Newstead Ave
- St. Louis Juice Press at 4701 S Kingshighway Blvd
- Juice Bar at 9849 Manchester Rd
- Everbowl at 1516 S Lindbergh Blvd, Ladue
- Vitality Bowls Saint Louis at 8029 Dale Ave, Richmond Heights
Local Restaurants With Great Desserts
Must have desserts near you can also be found at these restaurants:
- The Fountain On Locust at 3037 Locust St
- Baileys’ Range at 1420, 920 Olive St
- Crown Candy Kitchen at 1401 St Louis Ave
- BrickTop’s at 10342 Clayton Rd, Frontenac
- Mariposa at 100 Plaza Frontenac, Upper Level, Frontenac
The Fountain On Locust is known for their American fare as well as some of the best desserts in St Louis like their fine ice creams and chocolates.
You will want to try the ice cream and cookies and cream milkshakes at Baileys’ Range.
Some of the most popular desserts in your area are available at Crown Candy Kitchen.
BrickTop’s is an American restaurant that is famous for its great desserts in Frontenac including their delicious key lime pie.
You may sample one of Mariposa’s delicious entrée options or try one of their world famous Mandarin orange soufflé as well as their well known Boston cream pie.
You might also want to read our posts on:
Enjoy Ice Cream, Cookies, & Cakes In St Louis
That is all we’ve got for now but visit us again because we plan to update this post often. After reading about all these local shops to buy ice cream, frozen yogurt, cookies, cakes, pastries, other bakery items, cupcakes, donuts, chocolate, fudge, candy, gluten free baked goods, smoothies, and even restaurants with can’t miss desserts near you that you should be ready to find your next sweet indulgence.
Don’t be afraid to let us know if any shops have closed down or if we posted anything that is incorrect in the comments. Now have fun eating your ice cream, cookies, and cakes in St Louis.